Friday, May 4, 2012

Chicken Cutlet Curry

On my very last TDY trip to Okinawa, Japan, I became slightly addicted to CoCo Ichibanya Curry House chicken cutlet curry (Level 2) scarfing down three servings in a matter of 4 days. Every time I ate it, it left me wanting more.  Sure enough, within 24 hours of being back home, I wanted Chicken Cutlet Curry.  I found myself aimlessly wandering Google, at 1 am, in search for a recipe for the addicting meal.  I came across several and finally just picked one (the easiest) and decided I would try to cook it.  So, for my birthday dinner, I cooked the following recipe for my family.  They all loved it.  We made a spicier version for Dave, Kaleb and I and then a mild version for the younger boys.  It is not CoCo Curry's, but it definitely satisfied my craving and introduced a new flavor to the whole family.

The recipe below is how our family cooked this meal.  The original recipe can be found at grouprecipes.com.


Ingredients
5 servings short grain white rice, cooked and kept warm
2T of butter or olive oil
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups fine breadcrumbs
3 eggs, beaten
1 block S&B Golden® curry sauce mix(med/hot)*
12oz sliced fresh mushrooms
salt, pepper and cayenne
2T peanut oil


Directions
1. In large stir fry pan melt butter. 
2. Add mushrooms and saute about 5 minutes.
3. Add water and entire brick of curry sauce mix to mushrooms.
4. Let simmer on high to thicken, stirring occasionally while preparing chicken (add cayenne to adjust heat level)
5. Pound chicken breasts out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Season with salt and pepper.
6. In pie plate, combine breadcrumbs with salt, pepper and other desired seasonings(ie garlic or onion powder, cayenne, parsley, etc)
7. Dredge chicken in egg then in breadcrumbs until evenly coated.
8. Cook chicken in large skillet with peanut oil.
9. Cook about 5 minute each side, until chicken is cooked through.
10. To serve, place serving of rice on plate, top with sliced chicken breast, then top with sauce. 

* For a mild version of this recipe use the mild S&B Golden® curry sauce mix.

** We made TWO batches of the curry sauce to suit everyone's taste. The above recipe only calls for one batch. 

*** The recipe called for about a 1/2 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese on top of the chicken breast before adding the sauce, but I forgot this and nobody noticed.  I plan to try this next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment